Friday, August 05, 2005

The Love-Hate Relationship.

India lost to Sri Lanka in the last match from a position any good team would have won. And next day you can find a link on a popular website, Villains for Indian cricket, and then follows a web presentation featuring Dravid, Sehwag, Ganguly as a villain. It’s a different matter Dravid averages 41, 37 and 57 respectively, in the seasons 2003-2005, Sehwag is proving to be one of the most destructive batsman in the world cup and Ganguly has been the best captain we have had so far.

Agreed. We have lost to Sri Lanka in last two matches and did not win as convincingly as expected against a second grade West Indian side. For that matter we have been doing quite badly in last one year. But that does not mean we need to term our players as villains. If they do not play well, criticize them, don’t crucify them.

But that has been the problem with Indian cricket for years. You win a match and media will go paint the town red as if we have won the world cup. You loose next and we demand our team to be thrown into Indian Ocean.

People complain that Indian team never lives up to what has been expected from it, they always perform below their potential and embarrass the country. But who asks you to have such high expectations. Did Mahendra Singh Dhoni ask TOI to write on its sports page, “We have got another Sehwag”, after his century in very second match against Pakistan. Or Sanajay Bangar asked these news papers to compare him with Tendulkar when he scored a hundred in Indian conditions against not such a strong attack. Articles like these build our expectations. And the very next day, in case of a failure, a derogatory article makes these Media-Made heroes look like good for nothing. Hence our attachment with the game is replaced by the attachment with cricketers, be it good or bad. In India we do not love cricket, we love cricketers. Otherwise why would we take more interest in Ganguly’s temple date with nagma as compared to Debashish Mohanty taking all ten wickets in a Ranji match? Actually how many of us even know that how many competitions we have at first class level in domestic cricket? “Who cares, all I just want Tendulkar to score a hundred in every match and win for us”. If he does not do so, throw him out to retirement. “He just plays for his own records, get some one else.” But get who? Considering the state of domestic cricket, we are not going to get Clarkes and Husseys as replacements. Our options are limited. And if we do get some one new, support him till he exhausts all the chances he deserves. But I did see Raina’s name in the list of villains. Give me a break mann!!! The lad has just played three matches, agreed he needs a lot of improvement, but do not turn him a national villain after just three matches. What about three splendid run outs? Do not forget, Ganguly was thrown out into the oblivion after just 10 balls in international cricket, but what a remarkable come back he has made.

But this is the way it goes in India, you score a 50 against Kenya on a dead track, you see a full page photo of yours in next day’s newspaper which will be painting the town red for you. You fail in next match, and could be rest assured that your house would have been painted black. It’s a perfect love-hate relationship or the same old story, success has thousand fathers but failure was born an orphan.

8 comments:

Uptown Girl said...

India doesn't want a good side...all it wants is it's heros to perform...match after match after match...Sometime we feel like asing these people...how far have you succeeded in your job...day after day after day! Have there been no setbacks...no failures??? It's this tendency to criticize that ruins the fun!

Spiff said...

I think u r making 2 much of the times item...i am sure there many other sensible people like u..anyway if u blog for each crappy item in times u ll loose ur job

Legal Forms said...

Hello very interesting blog you got here! kudos, I was searching for dating sitesdating I am going to add you to my favorites page liked your blog a lot. Hope you do not mind

Webmaster said...

Hi, I was blog surfing for the latest information on relationship sitesrelationships and ended up on your blog. Obviously your blog came up in my search, but I'm certainly glad I did! Would you mind if I link to your blog in my "favorites" page?

Webmaster said...

Hi, I was blog surfing for the latest information on relationship sitesrelationship and dating questions and ended up on your blog. Obviously your blog came up in my search, but I'm certainly glad I did! Would you mind if I link to your blog in my "favorites" page?

Legal Forms said...

Hello very interesting blog you got here! kudos, I was searching for dating siteshealthy relationships I am going to add you to my favorites page liked your blog a lot. Hope you do not mind

Legal Forms said...

Hello very interesting blog you got here! kudos, I was searching for dating sitesrelationship transformation I am going to add you to my favorites page liked your blog a lot. Hope you do not mind

Legal Forms said...

Hello, I was checking out the blogs on blogger.com for relationship and dating blogs Love Relationship I ended up finding your blog, avery interesting blog, by accident, I am certainly glad I did. You have a Tremendous blog, would you mind if I link to your blog in my "favorites" page?