Friday, June 23, 2006

Please let me in!!!

Resuming office after resuming health is never easy. You just don’t feel like giving up the leisure of rest you have become accustomed to. But good health comes at some price.
I realized in the bus that I had forgotten the key to my office, my access card. Suddenly I was tempted to jump off the bus but I was way too far off my shelter to do that. I was told that it is easier to go back home and get your card rather than getting a duplicate card but then, my workplace and residence happen to be at two opposite extremes of the city. It was the time to realize it.
I was told at the gate by the security to get them confirmed by my manager that I was a genuine employee of the company. But it’s not that easy in the morning because people prefer replying nature’s call rather than your call. To make it worse, I had just changed my cell hence my phone book was not as rich as the earlier one. So I was waiting & waiting at the gate for any familiar and senior face to tell the security to let me in. Finally the collaboration of my networking skills and common sense helped me getting through the first barrier of security at the gate. Next was the notoriously famed administrative department. I was not only asked for all my details but also a photo ID card. Suddenly I felt like traveling in a third AC compartment on a Tatkal ticket. Enough of cribbing!!! The wait was going to be over. They were going to hand over my temporary access card to me. But hey, wait!!!! All I got was a piece of paper Xeroxed in the worst possible manner and with a signature even simpler then mine. That means in a company premises where you are being searched at the gate like Indians get searched at US airports (even my lunch box is seen with suspicion), you can roam around freely just on the basis of a piece of paper. Get it printed, sign it and do what you want. It was a perfect example of security being risked in the name of cost cutting.
Actually the entire concept of outsourcing companies runs on cost cutting. Hence they try to cut it down wherever possible with HR & Administration falling as the easiest of preys. They are treated as cost centers with extreme emphasis on cost reduction wherever possible. To hell with the good side they produce which obviously comes at a cost.
The strategy looks fine for a gorilla approach, but for growing as a part of a strong industry in a futuristic vision, this may lead to a catastrophe. One of my colleagues predicts our industry to head the typical Marwari way, may be there is some truth in his vision.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. vibash since the very fact that common sense is not that common !! i here by undertake pains to make u familiarize with this.Article restated some of wellknown facts about you..height of laziness is not to use your brain even to collect your doc when leaving for work place and later on finding flaws in the system....if there was some kind strictness in allowing to enter the premises than problem was all your ...should have thanked god rather than writing this....

no need to say thanks on this..

Vibhash Prakash Awasthi said...

aapki tareef?

astha said...

Mr.Awasthi, a gr8 blogger of the community.. waise uper wala meine nahi likha..fir bhi critics make u do ur best, aap achha likhte hein duniya jaanti hein....
so lage raho munna bhai....