Tuesday, January 10, 2012

An ode to DC downtown – the Dange Chowk!!!


An ode to DC downtown – the Dange Chowk!!!

On the left of Mumbai-pune expressway, lots of dust in my hair
Warm smell of diesel, thick smog in the air
Up ahead in the distance, somewhere in my sight
I saw a busy crossroad, with no traffic light
The traffic grew heavy and hopes to drive through got dim
I had to stop in my plight
There it stood in the doorway
It looked like a huge well
And I was thinking to myself
This could be heaven or this could be hell
A traffic cop came to me and I had to make his day
There were shouts of expletives all around me
I thought I heard them say…

Welcome to the DC downtown
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely place
Plenty of chaos in DC downtown
Anytime of the year, you can find it here

To one side there is Pimpari,
One side is Kalewadi Phata,
It also leads to Hinjewadi,
But in total it looks like a massively erroneous errata

Its roads are totally busted, and they are full of gutters
Even if you get Schumi, he can’t drive without flutters
Even if you drive in 5 degree Fahrenheit, you will still sweat
For sure this is one country road, you just cannot forget

So I called up the God,
And told him this place is divine
He said, we have been collecting spirits here since nineteen sixty nine
And all those voices keep calling from far away,
They wake you up in the middle of the night
You just hear them say...

Welcome to the DC downtown
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely place
So many souls here, took their last vows
What a daredevil place, bring all your foes

No lights on the street,
Lot of potholes to greet
Often here they say life is a struggle, it’s not a treat
And the days of rain,
There is a lot to gain
If the place becomes like Venice
You can’t call it pain

Last thing I remember, I was
Crossing it in the night
An oil tanker on my left and I had a Tumtum on my right
There was nowhere to go and a truck was pushing me from the back
My prayers got answered
And I got away just with a minor scratch

Oh I could hear them all say
Welcome to the DC downtown
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely place
Go pay it a visit and you will aggrieve
Maybe you can do so but your memories, it won’t leave

Welcome to the DC downtown
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely place

PS 1: Credit goes to Eagles for all the inspiration!!!
PS 2: Pun intended!!!

1 comment:

Saumyajit said...

Dude this is good stuff.