Friday, August 04, 2017

Him, Her and the Truthfulness!!!

Read more about Him & Her series here.
He had a worried look as he reached his desk. The worries magnified as he saw his boss already waiting for him.
“Boss, what happened?”
“Nothing”
“Ok. Good morning”
“Good morning. Now it is my turn to ask. What happened?”
“Why? What happened?”
“You look a little worried as if you had murdered someone and forgot to move the body”
“Oh well. It is almost like that. Just that I might get murdered soon”
“Ah, I am in a kind mood today. Worry not”
“You aren’t the only scary person in my life” he said with tongue in cheek.
“Who am I competing with?” his boss had a sense of humor.
“Missus”
“Ah, there is no competition. Tell me what did you do?”
“As she was leaving for work, she asked me to close the tap”
“And you didn’t?”
“I did but not before the kitchen was flooded”
“Not following my orders is a crime big enough to get you fired. What was so important that you forgot something which can get you fried, roasted and eaten alive?”
“The Queen's Justice”
“Damn. You watched it already”
“Yes. Episode 4 of Game of Thrones was aired today morning. So I had to”
“Okay. We are surely not discussing GoT. Utter a single word about it and consider yourself fired. I wouldn't care even if I have to throw saxual harrassment charges to do that” Boss’ voice had a tone of stern warning.
“Speech is silver. Silence is gold” he said.
“So what did you do to repair the damage?”
“I mopped the floor as much as I could. Yet, one can make a wet floor dry. De-flooding takes time”
“Yes it does”  Boss said smilingly.
“I just hope it dries out before evening and also, the maid does her work”
“It will. Worry not. India being a hot country has its advantages for clumsy husbands”
“I know. And I am feeling bad for my wife”
“For marrying you? I agree”
“No. Every time she asks me something to do, she keeps on reminding me till I do it. She is as prolific in completing century of reminders as Sachin”
“Ah while I appreciate, for once, you are saying good words about Sachin. Do not discredit the bowlers who often fed him hit-me balls”
“That’s a sly on me?”
“Do I need to tell you even that?” Boss laughed.
“Well problem is that while her repeated reminders do irritate the hell out of me, I don’t do what I am asked to do unless she reminds me regularly. If she doesn’t remind me, I forget it”
“So?”
“We have had a few fights because of this. In fact more than a few. I think it is high time I tell her the truth and accept this downside of mine”
“Don’t do that”
“Why? I need to be truthful to her. That’s how it should be in love and marriage”
“Dude, whoever said that was either an idiot or a liar”
“Why?”
“You never do it unless you want to feel like how Suresh Raina would on a Brisbane pitch against the Mitchells - Starc and Johnson.”
“So?” he wondered.
“Never tell her the truth you are talking about. That’s bad relationship management”
“Boss, if you have to manage a relationship, it's not a relationship at all”
“Don’t tell me that. At least you to me” Boss said with a smirk and wink.
“Ok”
“Relationship management is more about management than relationship”
“Big words boss”
“Yes”
“So what should I do?” he wondered.
“Pray. Pray that the floor dries out. Pray that the maid does her work. And just don’t tell your wife that it was GoT which made you forget what she asked you to do. And please don’t tell her about how her reminders are effective and you see their importance. Just don’t”
“As the boss says”
“Now get back to work. My boss is coming tomorrow. I have a relationship to manage”
*Next morning*
“Hey, how did it go?” boss asked.
“Well it went well. She did not find out. We went out for dinner”
“Then why do you have a sad face?” boss wondered.
“Well, we spent some quality time yesterday. It was really good. We started discussing things”
“This is not going where I would like it to go. Don’t tell me you puked it all out?”
“Boss, you are you and I am me. I believe I have to be honest in my relationship. I told her everything”
“Even the reminder thing?” boss wondered again.
“Yes I did”
“Then?”
“Honesty is the best policy. She forgave me and said she would stop reminding me about things. I promised she would not need to remind me”
His phone buzzed. It was his wife. After 5 minutes of monologue from her side, he was free.
Boss asked, “What happened?”
“Boss. She had put on rice on stove before leaving for work”
“So?”
“She messaged me 4-5 times to remind me that I had to switch off the stove. When I did not respond, she called”
“But didn’t she tell you she would stop doing that”
“Yes she did”
“Doesn’t matter. After all you promised her that you would do things without reminders. Honesty and all that”
“I know boss. I am screwed”
“Why?”
“I forgot”
A deathly silence followed.
PS: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

No comments: